[Buildroot] cannot log to my build root

Diego Iastrubni diegoiast at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 13:39:45 UTC 2010

Nope. In my original case /dev/tty was not a char device (a null file
instead). Creating these files fixed the problem:

rm -fr $ROOT/dev/*

mknod $ROOT/dev/tty     c 5 0

mknod $ROOT/dev/console c 5 1

mknod $ROOT/dev/null    c 1 3

mknod $ROOT/dev/tty0    c 4 0

mknod $ROOT/dev/tty1    c 4 1

mknod $ROOT/dev/tty2    c 4 2

mknod $ROOT/dev/tty3    c 4 3

mknod $ROOT/dev/ttyS0   c 4 64

(I only need the very basic before udev starts).

If I write "/bin/sh" at /etc/init.d/rc.S I *do* get a working shell, so my
problem is with login.