[Buildroot] cannot log to my build root

Diego Iastrubni diegoiast at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 15:28:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Thomas Petazzoni <
thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:

> This last line "can't access tty; job control turned off" means that
> the shell has been started directly on /dev/console, which is normal is
> you start a shell directly from an init.d script, because those scripts
> are executed with /dev/console as the standard input, standard output,
> standard err.

Not that I am aware of.

> You really having *nothing* else on the serial line after what you
> sent ?
>
> There is the application I am developing. It sends text to stdout, which is
on the serial console (as you described above).

> According to your Buildroot configuration, your /etc/inittab should
> contain a line :
>
> ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100 # GENERIC_SERIAL

/ # cat /etc/inittab | grep getty
# Set up a couple of getty's
tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
# Put a getty on the serial port
ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100 # GENERIC_SERIAL

> and you should see a login prompt on this serial line.
>
> It's the /etc/inittab file that decides on which terminals a login
> prompt should appear, by starting a getty program on those terminals.
>
> What does your /etc/inittab look like ?

I probably did not express myself properly. I do soo login (which is started
by getty). The only problem is that whatever I do in "login" I get kicked
out -

buildroot login: root
Password: *[just enter]*
Login incorrect

The sad thing is that I do remember that once it did work and I would get by
just typing the username.