[Buildroot] continued issues with AR

Lionel Landwerlin llandwerlin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 16:56:16 UTC 2010

Le samedi 25 décembre 2010 à 10:20 -0600, Heiko Zuerker a écrit :
> Hey,
>
> it seems like I keep running into issues where it tries to use my
> local ar, instead of the one from the external toolchain.
> I'm not familiar with the workings behind the scenes of buildroot, but
> is it possible that something is missing somewhere?
> Do we need to always set i.e. AR=$(TARGET_AR) ?
> Could the same be happening for other files like ld,gcc and so on?

Yup,

As some others packages, lvm2 does not use automake. So makefiles
remains mostly "hand written"...

With fully autotooled packages, we define CC/AR/LD/etc... variables at
configure time, so the configure script generates the makefiles with
proper CC/AR/LD/etc... variables definitions.
With semi autotooled packages as lvm2, we rely on what as been written
by the lvm2 developers.

One solution could be to define a kind of Makefile.half.autotool.in top
makefile to handle these specials cases (which do not seem that special
after all), in which we would define AR/CC/LD/etc... at build time (most
of them are defined in TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS already).

What do you think ?

Lionel Landwerlin