[Buildroot] commiting patches

Heiko Zuerker heiko at zuerker.org
Thu Dec 30 21:38:02 UTC 2010

Quoting Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at uclibc.org>:

>  Heiko> Hey,
>
>  Heiko> I was wondering for a while, what are the criterias for patches
>  Heiko> to be applied to buildroot.
>  Heiko> Some of them seem to get applied right away, others were sent in a
>  Heiko> month or two ago and don't. I understand that some probably
> will never
>  Heiko> get applied, but will there be a "sorry dude, but..." email?
>
> I'm not following any strict procedure, but I do try to sooner or later
> get around to review all patches. Understand that I do this in my spare
> time, so turnaround time can sometimes be slow.

No worries, we all do have the same issue. There are only so many
hours in a day (must be 48 according to my work load).

> I mainly try to handle the patches in fifo mode, but I do also skim new
> mails. This is both because sometimes updates are sent, and sometimes I
> see trivial patches that can be handled when I have 5 min spare or
> important bugfixes.
>
> It's a big help when other developers help with the review and send
> their ack/nacks (thanks for this!), so those patches are often handled
> earlier than others.
>
> But I can still forget about patches, so if you haven't had any feedback
> for a week or two, please check if it still applies and send a followup
> mail.

I'll try and start nagging. ;-)
I often forget myself about the patches I sent in the past, since I
keep using them as part of my git repository.

> It might be politically incorrect, but the patch author also does
> matter. If the patch is from a regular contributor who normally does
> good work, then I know I don't need to review in as much details as if
> it's from a complete stranger - So a good way of getting your own
> patches applied faster is to help reviewing other patches ;)

Ha! Now he's trying to make us work... :D

--

Regards
   Heiko Zuerker