[Buildroot] Confusion with building at91bootstrap

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Wed Feb 3 13:29:51 UTC 2010

Cameron Hutchison skrev:
> I am trying to build an image for an AT91SAM9260EK board and I'm getting
> a little confused with the build ot at91bootstrap. I'm using BR 2009.11
>
> When at91bootstrap is configured, the buildroot makefile
> (at91bootstrap.mk) runs "make at91sam9260ek_defconfig" which sets up
> at91bootstrap for building for my specific board.
>
> That config file defines IMG_SIZE to be 0x40000 and passes
> -DIMG_SIZE=0x40000 to the compiler.
>
> The buildroot makefile passes -DIMG_SIZE=0x32000. This value comes from
> the buildroot config.
>
> This causes a build warning that IMG_SIZE is redefined.

Ignore it.

> Apart from that I don't yet know what the correct image size should be,
> it looks like the at91bootstrap integration into buildroot is broken.
> The option to set the image size in the BR config cannot work, since the
> at91bootstrap (2.10) source will attempt to override it anyway. Am I
> missing something here?

This is the size of the image which is loaded into SDRAM.
Typically u-boot.
I think the idea is that buildroot can override the
config file.

> Also, the at91bootstrap defconfig for this board adds the suffix of
> "card" to the output file, making that filename contain "dataflashcard"
> when I have configured for "dataflash" not "dataflashcard". I dont yet
> know what the difference is between these (my board does not appear to
> have any sort of card or slot for one), so I'm not sure what should be
> done here, but it appears inconsistent.

dataflashcard = boot from NPCS0
dataflash = boot from NPCS1

Easy to understand, if you use the SAM9260EK.

You want to use the latest = 2.13.
2.13-rc# has some issues.
Need a modification of the recipe in buildroot.

BR
Ulf Samuelsson