[Buildroot] asterisk works in buildroot?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Feb 11 16:00:27 UTC 2010

Hello,

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:49:04 -0600
"Michael S. Zick" <minimod at morethan.org> wrote:

> Yeah, except then the work would be a "work for hire" and the
> property of whoever pays your fee - not an improvement to the open
> source Buildroot system.

Depends on the conditions of the contract between the consultant and
its customer. It could well be that the consultant only accepts to work
for the customer if the parts of the work that consist in modifications
to existing open source components can be contributed back to the
community. This is how we usually work at Free Electrons and customers
usually understand this pretty well: because we can leverage the
community help during our work, we work faster, which means a smaller
cost for the project.

> One of the legal and ethical problems faced by any "loss leader" OSS
> project used to promote the commercial agenda of private development
> firms. Buildroot is hardly the first to try that idea.

Definitely, the interaction between commercial companies and open
source communities is sometimes complicated due to sometimes diverging
interests. But there are companies much more focused on community
cooperation than others, IMO.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons