[Buildroot] init: I won't write compressed data to a terminal.

Ossy ossy1980 at gmx.net
Wed Jul 7 18:00:35 UTC 2010

Am 07.07.2010 07:52, schrieb Peter Korsgaard:

>   Ossy>  Hi buildroot mailinglist,
>   Ossy>  After successfully compiling a whole rootfs and mounting it via loop
>   Ossy>  on some nfs export I started my arm ebedded device and ran into tho
>   Ossy>  following error after booting the image via tftp.
>
>   Ossy>  "init: I won't write compressed data to a terminal."
>
> What .config are you using? That string doesn't exist in the busybox
> init (or anywhere in busybox).

I'm using the configuration attached (you may need to ignore my custom
settings for the sheevaplugbased DockStar).

I mount the generated rootfs with
mount -o loop,ro br_dist/dev/rootfs.ext2 /exports/rootfs/rfs1
and export it via nfs. The Kernel supports rootfs over nfs and was able
to mount the filesystem via nfs. After that I get the above mentioned error.
As Mitch already mentioned, this error comes from bzip2 (or maybe gzip).
So I guess there is some ext2 inline compression, which is not
compatibel with the serial console?
I need to add, that I connect passing console=ttyS0,115200 to the kernel.

The cat of /exports/rootfs/rfs1/etc/inittab looks good to me:
debian-virtual:/exports/rootfs/rfs1# cat etc/inittab
# /etc/inittab
[...]
#

# Startup the system
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -o remount,rw /
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -t proc proc /proc
null::sysinit:/bin/mkdir -p /dev/pts
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -a
null::sysinit:/bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname
# now run any rc scripts
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

# Set up a couple of getty's
tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2

# Put a getty on the serial port
ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100 # GENERIC_SERIAL

# Logging junk
null::sysinit:/bin/touch /var/log/messages
null::respawn:/sbin/syslogd -n -m 0
null::respawn:/sbin/klogd -n
tty3::respawn:/usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/messages

# Stuff to do for the 3-finger salute
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot

# Stuff to do before rebooting
null::shutdown:/usr/bin/killall klogd
null::shutdown:/usr/bin/killall syslogd
null::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
null::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a

Maybe it would work, if I do not watch the bootingprocess on the serial
console, but I won't be able to verify if the system comes up without
serialconsole output.

Regards for now,
Marcus