[Buildroot] ncurses: build freezes without error with v5.7

Mitch Davis mjd+buildroot at afork.com
Thu Jul 15 16:33:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 12:44 AM, Quotient Remainder
<quotientvremainder at gmail.com> wrote:

>> If you run this from the command line (ie, not via buildroot), what
>> happens?  Does it still hang?
>
> Yes, same result.

Good.  Now what happens if you run tic manually from the command line
under gdb?  If you wait until it hangs, then press ^C, then run "bt"
in gdb, what happens?  (You may like to install debug info for tic.
In Fedora, I'd do this:

  yum install yum-utils

then either:

  debuginfo-install ncurses

or

  yum --enable-repo=fedora-debuginfo install ncurses-debuginfo

Then I'd start gdb /usr/bin/tic, and use "set args" in gdb, then
"run".  You might find things vary under RHEL5.

> I wonder if this 5.5 version of tic is too old to handle something in
> the terminfo file generated by 5.7 or something?

It's possible.  Buildroot's ncurses package may need to be changed so
it builds a host version of tic, to work around this.

Mitch.