[Buildroot] question on gcc compile options

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Jul 27 18:21:43 UTC 2010

Hello Arun,

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 00:20:53 -0700 (PDT)
Salvat <slvt1234 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,        I am using buildroot-2009.02 to build a toolchain for
> mips platform. When I compile my code with the toolchain, I notice
> that there are many options passed to mipsel-linux-gcc; specifically
> the -ffunction-sections option. I would like to turn off that option.
> Can anyone point to me how to control the options sent to gcc.
> thanks,arun

Buildroot 2009.02 is very old, are you able to use a more recent
version, such as 2010.05 ?

Nothing in Buildroot is passing -ffunction-sections. So it is a
particular package that adds this option to the CFLAGS.

In particular, Busybox makes use of this -ffunction-sections. So if you
really don't want this option to be used, you have to look at each
package individually. Do you have any strong reason for not wanting
this option ?

Regards,

Thomas
--