[Buildroot] configure looks in /usr for ncurses headers?

Peter Hüwe PeterHuewe at gmx.de
Wed Jul 28 17:02:42 UTC 2010

Hi,

today I tried to bump the pidgin/finch multimessenger to version 2.7.2 which
was released several days ago.

But before I tried to bump the version, I tried to build the 2.7.1 version
I've submitted about a month ago - but (as almost expected) the build failed
with the following message:

checking for initscr in -lncursesw... (cached) yes
checking for update_panels in -lpanelw... (cached) yes
checking /usr/include/ncursesw/ncurses.h usability... no
checking /usr/include/ncursesw/ncurses.h presence... no
checking for /usr/include/ncursesw/ncurses.h... no
checking /usr/include/ncurses.h usability... yes
checking /usr/include/ncurses.h presence... yes
checking for /usr/include/ncurses.h... yes
checking if /usr/include/ncurses.h supports wide characters... no
configure: error:

Finch will not be built. You need to install ncursesw (or ncurses) and its
development headers.

Why does configure (now) look in /usr/include and not
.../buildroot/output/staging/usr/include ?

Or is /usr/include correct? - if yes why could I build the package back then
and not now? (same source version of pidgin, no changes in config)

Thanks,
Peter