[Buildroot] Host libraries - status

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Wed Jun 23 12:48:14 UTC 2010

Thomas, All,

On Wednesday 23 June 2010 112022 Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> So, I decided to try :
> HOST_LDFLAGS += -rpath $(HOST_DIR)/usr/lib
> unfortunately, it breaks host-genext2fs, because this stupid guy passes
> those LDFLAGS directly to gcc :

Unfortunately, genext2fs is not the only sucker in this category. A lot
of packages happen to use gcc as the frontend to ld, and mis-interpret
things such as --fatal-warnings

On Wednesday 23 June 2010 131800 Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> With this + the HOST_LDFLAGS as shown above, my mkfontscale test case
> is OK, and fakeroot continues to work properly. I managed to build a
> X.org stack + ext2 filesystem for ARM correctly.

Hmm... That's great news, then!

I dwelved into it yesterday evening^Wnight, but mostly from a theoretical
point of view. That is, I googled for such errors. :-/

> Generally speaking, I think we shouldn't do:
>                 CC="$(HOSTCC) $(HOST_CFLAGS)" \
>                 GCC="$(HOSTCC) $(HOST_CFLAGS)" \
>                 CXX="$(HOSTCXX) $(HOST_CXXFLAGS)" \
>                 CPP="$(HOSTCPP) $(HOST_CFLAGS)" \
> But only set CC="$(HOSTCC)", and pass CFLAGS in a separate variable.

Ditto for GCC, GXX, CPP and LD, I guess. And ./configure just does honor the
CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS if given in the environmanet and/or
on the command line, IIRC.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | (*_*) | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |