[Buildroot] [git commit master 1/1] initramfs: update help text

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Sun Jun 27 20:08:19 UTC 2010

 >> No, but you could extract the tarball (as root or using fakeroot) and
 >> point CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE to it.

 Grant> An extracted tarball isn't one of the options either.
 Grant> CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE can be pointed at either a cpio archive or the
 Grant> source file list.

No? I haven't used initramfs in years, but I'm pretty sure you can
simply point CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE at a directory to make it use that.

The help text and documentation seems to agree with me:

config INITRAMFS_SOURCE
        string "Initramfs source file(s)"
        default ""
        help
          This can be either a single cpio archive with a .cpio suffix or a
          space-separated list of directories and files for building the
          initramfs image.  A cpio archive should contain a filesystem archive
          to be used as an initramfs image.  Directories should contain a
          filesystem layout to be included in the initramfs image.  Files
          should contain entries according to the format described by the
          "usr/gen_init_cpio" program in the kernel tree.

          When multiple directories and files are specified then the
          initramfs image will be the aggregate of all of them.

 Grant> It works fine the way it is.  What's the reason for disabling the
 Grant> buildign of a cpio file source list?

Is there any advantage to using a source file for gen_init_cpio instead
of just building a cpio archive?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard