[Buildroot] Login troubles

Paul Jones paul.jones at iwtech.com.au
Sun Mar 7 12:53:02 UTC 2010

I've just built a basic buildroot for my mini2440 ARM board and it
successfully boots to the buildroot login: prompt.
My problem is that I can't seem to login - I haven't touched any of the
config files and looking at /etc/passwd|shadow the login should be root
with a blank password?
I've tried to login both from the serial console (which I set in the
buildroot menu to /dev/ttySAC0) and the normal console with a usb
keyboard - no luck.

This is what I get when it boots:

VFS: Mounted root (yaffs filesystem) on device 31:2.
Freeing init memory: 128K
Initializing random number generator... done.
Starting network...
ip: RTNETLINK answers: File exists

Welcome to Buildroot

buildroot login: root