[Buildroot] mdev

Marcel korgull at home.nl
Mon May 10 18:40:46 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to create a couple of device nodes in /dev and somehow doing this
manually seems not preferred so I'm trying to do this via mdev.

My first question is whether I'm on the right track by using mdev?

I tried mdev but I can't make it work. Probably this is because I have
something wrong in either the startup code , the mdev.conf file or whatever.
Second I wonder how mdev works because I think it needs MAKEDEV or something
else) which I may be missing and can't find in my buildroot. mknod is on my
system though.
mdev -s starts and returns after a second or so, I see no errors and no other
feedback.

I am looking for an example that works with spidev. My guess is that the entry
in mdev.conf should be something like :

spidev 0:153 0660

Would my kernel need hotplug enabled ? (I guess it does).

I'm using a 2.6.33 kernel with a sam9g45 Atmel processor if that matters.

Best regards,
Marcel