[Buildroot] Commit "Remove BR2_GNU_TARGET_SUFFIX and compute GNU_TARGET_NAME"

Quotient Remainder quotientvremainder at gmail.com
Thu May 6 16:56:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Thomas Petazzoni <
thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 May 2010 16:24:58 +0100
> Quotient Remainder <quotientvremainder at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/commit/?id=65e80a0b0bf275e0ffdbb611706bec4b1b4719b1
> >
> > This patch would seem to prevent Codesourcery toolchains from working.
>  They
> > use "arm-none-linux-gnueabi-*" (no $(LIB) part).
> > I suppose you can't take everyone into account but was just curious to
> know
> > if this was taken into account.
>
> The GNU target name is distinct from the toolchain prefix. For external
> toolchains, the toolchain prefix is still configurable using the
> BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PREFIX configuration option.
>
> If you have any issue, could you post the corresponding build log
> and .config file ?

The problem occurs at the configure stage of gdb (target):

checking host system type... Invalid configuration
`arm-unknown-linux-glibcgnueabi': machine `arm-unknown-linux' not recognized

This is passed from the gdb.mk file to ./configure using the
REAL_GNU_TARGET_NAME variable, which gets its value from GNU_TARGET_NAME, as
calculated by the patch I'm highlighting.
Maybe this should be made conditional on not using an external toolchain?

I will provide .config and build output if required but don't think it is
necessary, let me know if I am wrong on this.  (Also is an attachment OK?
 .config is over 14 KiB).