[Buildroot] Can't get inetd/busybox-telnetd to work

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Thu May 6 19:24:56 UTC 2010

I've been trying to get inetd and busybox's telnetd to work, but I'm
stumped.

Here's my inetd.conf file:

telnet stream  tcp  nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd  /usr/sbin/telnetd

When I telnet to my board, this is what happens:

  $ telnet 10.0.0.99
  Trying 10.0.0.99...
  Connected to 10.0.0.99.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  buildroot login: root
  Login incorrect

I can't figure out why the login is "incorrect".  The root user
doesn't have a password.

Telnetd and login are both from busybox 1.16.

When I run inetd in the foreground and tell it to log to stderr it's
completely mute.

What tricks are there to get busybox's inetd/telnetd/login to work?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Is it NOUVELLE
                                  at               CUISINE when 3 olives are