[Buildroot] FYI: Re: Conflicting types for getline

Michael S. Zick minimod at morethan.org
Sun May 16 11:45:54 UTC 2010

On Sun May 16 2010, Jochen+busybox at hayek.name wrote:

>     TCWP> Hi,
>     TCWP> I encountered an error running make for buildroot.
>     TCWP> Any ideas?
>     TCWP> Thanks in advance.
>
>     PK> That's a known problem
>
> Oh, good to know ;-)
>
>     PK> when you try to use older Linux kernels on new distributions.
>
>     PK> Select a newer version (>2.6.28) for the Linux kernel headers
>     PK> and it should work.
>
> Well, Peter,
> I am facing the same problem as Teng Chee Wan Philip did then.
> And I am not really free in my choice regarding the kernel.
>
> My pretty brand new Internet router ("AVM FRITZ!Box 7390") is using a 2.6.19.2 Linux kernel,
> and I can't really rebuild the entire thing,
> as they only tell us, on what open source it's based,
> and they don't publish their extensions.
>
>     root at fritz.fonwlan.box(fb7390) # uname -a
>     Linux fritz.fonwlan.box 2.6.19.2 #4 Fri Mar 26 17:10:43 CET 2010 mips unknown
>
>     root at fritz.fonwlan.box(fb7390) # cat /proc/cpuinfo
>     system type             : Ikanos Fusiv Core
>     processor               : 0
>     cpu model               : MIPS 24K V4.12
>     BogoMIPS                : 330.75
>     wait instruction        : yes
>     unaligned_instructions  : 2845982
>     microsecond timers      : yes
>     tlb_entries             : 64
>     extra interrupt vector  : yes
>     hardware watchpoint     : yes
>     ASEs implemented        : mips16 dsp
>     VCED exceptions         : not available
>     VCEI exceptions         : not available
>
> I want to be able to mount ext2 partitions on external disks,
> and not just vfat partitions,
> so I want to grab the ext2.ko from your build
> and "insmod" it in my devices kernel.
>

> They actually supply us with the kernel sources,
> they use for building their device,
> and I have no idea, whether they really changed it.
> Of course, I know how to do a "diff -r" on their kernel and the vanilla 2.6.19.2 ...
>
> So now with your software
> I actually also didn't find a way to tell it,
> how to use a custom kernel, that I already have on my disk.
>
> And "here" you are also telling us,
> there is a problem with buildroot regarding the kernel to be built resp.  how new it is.
>
> Well, whatever!
> Either I use your software, which so far seems to lack a few features resp. suffers from a few minor deficits,
> or I need to build a cross-compiler and then the kernel with that cross-compiler all by myself.
>

> Now in this light -- do you see any chance for me to get this job done?

Try here:
http://minimodding.com

We do almost exclusively MIPS, primarily 24K

And we are dealing with similar problems with the MultiMedia SoC chips -
the factory is building on 2.6.12.4 and we want something newer.

Or (just so you don't think my site is the only place)
OpenWRT and OpenEmbedded projects support MIPS.

Mike