[Buildroot] cannot login to shell

Kai Frank kafr0001 at stud.fh-kl.de
Thu May 20 20:47:20 UTC 2010

I'm building a kernel and roofts (jffs2) for Atmel AT91RM9200.
Everything seems to build fine. When i boot the images i get the
"Welcome to buildroot" screen and a login prompt. When i press enter i get
something like "login on ttyS0". This also seems to be correct. But the it
returns to "Welcome to buildroot".
When i'm trying to pass an init=/bin/sh as boot oder kernel option i get
freeing init memory(92k)
cannot open an initial console
unable to execute /bin/sh
kernel panic... try passing init as an kernel option.

My /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow should by ok, because i manually edited the
/etc/shadow and add an encrypted password for root and then you need the
enter the correct password before it returns to "Welcome to buildroot".

Any ideas?

Best regards!