[Buildroot] running tools on build host?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Nov 16 19:25:37 UTC 2010

Hello,

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 11:49:47 +0100
Odd Arild Olsen <oao at oao.no> wrote:

> I have built the gcc/uclibc toolchain and got the files installed in a
> /usr/local directory.
>
> I develop for an embedded i386 machine and need uClibc for that.
>
> I also wish to execute the compiled programs on the build machine during
> development. But I have not found any combination of options and environment
> variables that let me run the program with dynamic linking. The linker always
> goes to the /lib directory and gets confused by libc6 stuff.
>
> I can compile and run a statically linked program
>
> And I can compile the program and then copy the executable to the root image,
> chroot and run it
>
> Are there any way I can set this up so I can run my programs on the build host
> without copying the toolchain librariess to /lib

This is a bit clunky, but you could try something like :

 gcc -o foobar foobar.c \
	-Wl,--dynamic-linker=/path/to/your/lib/ld-uClibc.so \
	-Wl,-rpath=/path/to/your/lib \
	-Wl,-rpath=/path/to/your/usr/lib

I haven't tried, so I don't know if it really works, but it probably
should. Running your programs inside a chroot is definitely a better
solution.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons