[Buildroot] Report from the Buildroot Developer Day, 29th October 2010

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Fri Nov 26 23:23:28 UTC 2010

Thomas & Thomas, All,

On Friday 26 November 2010 14:45:10 Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 13:16:45 +0100
> Thomas De Schampheleire <patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What about allowing components to be located in a separate location,
> > outside of buildroot?
[--SNIP--]
> The topic was shortly raised this morning on the IRC channel, but no
> clear solution was found yet. Input, feedback and ideas on the matter
> are definitely appreciated.

I did not follow the IRC log, but here's my suggestion...

Add a config knob where the user can enter the path to a directory.
That directory is expected to contain packages in sub-directories,
the way we currently have in package/ in Buildroot. Then, for each
package that is present there, we use it instead of our own version.

The Linux kernel, the bootloaders is special, as it is not in package/, but that can
probably be handled.

Of course, that's not currently trivial to implement (it might even
be completely impossible the way we currently include packages), but
it can be worth investigating...

Well, my 2 cents... ;-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.