[Buildroot] Gaisler sparc-leon

Michael S. Zick minimod at morethan.org
Fri Sep 3 15:44:03 UTC 2010

On Fri September 3 2010, Peter Korsgaard wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  konrad> My shortterm goal is to get buildroot to build a linux image
>  konrad> with romfs that includes libc shared and some more advanced app
>  konrad> like a ssh. That should cover/test already a lot
>  konrad> functionality. So far in snapgear 2.0 we only used uClibc
>  konrad> static, we had made quite a few patches to uclibc, didnt submit
>  konrad> them to the uclibc though. It was also a fairly old uclibc that
>  konrad> we used, it seems that uclibc has gotten better in the meantime
>  konrad> (while we sticked still to the old version...). I think that if
>  konrad> Gaisler would switch to buildroot and Leon users would start
>  konrad> using it the sparc the sparc part would be maintained and
>  konrad> running.I'll press this now and will post my results
>
> Ok, good - Shared linking on sparc indeed used to be broken as far as I
> remember.

From correspondence with Rob Landley. . .
Sparc 32bit should be working, Sparc 64bit may still have problems.
Both should be fixed at the time of his v1.0 project release.

>  konrad> Ps: Note at the side: If no hardware is available the
>  konrad> evaluation version of the sparcleon simulator called TSIM can
>  konrad> be used, so that non sparc users can run/test/verify too.
>
> What about something a bit more standard like qemu-system-sparc? We're
> already using qemu to test E.G. arm.

Perhaps a quick way to do that, would be with Aboriginal Linux
(previously: Firmware Linux)
http://aboriginal.impactlinux.com/

I don't see anything in the pre-built binaries newer than Rob's fixes for Sparc;
but you might give the 0.9.11 build a try:
http://landley.net/aboriginal/downloads/binaries/system-image-sparc.tar.bz2

If you have access to an Intel based machine, just do a build from source for Sparc;
the directions can be found on Rob's site - it is a fairly simple process;
use the "current repository tar-ball", the qemu-system image generated should "just work".
Although I can't claim to have tried it myself - last I heard only problems with sh4 where
holding back the v1.0 release.

Mike