[Buildroot] About Git through SSH

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Sep 4 16:58:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 11:25:15 +1000
"Paul Jones" <paul at pauljones.id.au> wrote:

> By the way, why does the source get converted to a tar.gz after the
> git tree is cloned? It's quite annoying because to rebuild the
> package you have to delete the tar.gz file as well as the build
> directory to force downloading of the latest source.

I agree that this is not optimal, but this is the solution that best
follows the way Buildroot works currently. If we don't do this, where
should Buildroot do the clone ? In the $(BUILD_DIR) which gets deleted
by make clean ? Or in $(DL_DIR) in a directory form and then we need to
do a "cp" to the $(BUILD_DIR) when doing the build ?

In a second step, it'd be nice to be able to tell Buildroot that for
this or that package, instead of being responsible for
downloading/extracting it, it should just grab it from a given
location. This is, IMHO, a change needed to make Buildroot more usable
during the development phase, but it needs quite a bit of reflection
and discussion.

Cheers,

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons