[Buildroot] gdb and external toolchain

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 14:20:07 UTC 2010

On 2010-09-14, William Wagner <will_wagner at carallon.com> wrote:

[...]
> http://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/FAQ
>
> It says that gdb needs un stripped libpthread and libthread_db
> libraries to work. I'm not sure if this is on the target with
> gdbserver or on the host running gdb.

The latter.  I've never had any issues debugging stripped libraries
and binaries on the target.

> Currently buildroot strips the libraries on the target.

That should work fine.

> I've never had a problem debugging with an internal buildroot
> toolchain so presumably buildroot is correct in stripping the
> libraries on the target.

Yes.

> Has anyone seen this before and able to point me in the right
> direction?

The only two things I know about are making sure the libraries are
built with debugging symbols, and then making sure gdb can find them
(by setting the solib-absolute-prefix option in gdb).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I have seen these EGG
                                  at               EXTENDERS in my Supermarket