[Buildroot] external toolchain question

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Sep 16 09:04:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:03:11 +0100
William Wagner <will_wagner at carallon.com> wrote:

> With libstdc++ in /usr/lib on target but /lib in staging I was
> getting an error in gdb when it tried to load libstdc++, moving the
> library fixed the problem.

Hum, right, ok.

The old behaviour was to find each library in staging/ and then copy it
to the same location in target/. Unfortunately, it was causing problems
with Buildroot toolchains, because in those, libstdc++ was neither in
lib/ or in usr/lib, but in usr/<tuple>/lib. Therefore, I moved to a
strategy that consists in having a fixed destination for the library on
the target filesystem. This was implemented by
ecb7642cce36bc68d93f0eee677adc7da538228d.

However, later on, to fix other issues, also related to libstdc++, I
modified the build procedure for Buildroot toolchains so that a
<tuple>/lib -> lib/ is created, as other toolchain building systems are
doing. This was implemented in
3c77bab2eeace3ee675bd745ca335fa3dd1630bb. The result is that libstdc++
is back into a usual location in Buildroot toolchains, so we could in
fact more or less revert ecb7642cce36bc68d93f0eee677adc7da538228d and
make sure that libraries are at the same location in both staging/ and
target/. I'll cook a patch for this.

Thanks for the report!

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons