[Buildroot] external toolchain question

William Wagner will_wagner at carallon.com
Thu Sep 16 11:41:09 UTC 2010

  On 16/09/2010 10:04, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:03:11 +0100
> William Wagner<will_wagner at carallon.com>  wrote:
>
>> With libstdc++ in /usr/lib on target but /lib in staging I was
>> getting an error in gdb when it tried to load libstdc++, moving the
>> library fixed the problem.
> Hum, right, ok.
>
> The old behaviour was to find each library in staging/ and then copy it
> to the same location in target/. Unfortunately, it was causing problems
> with Buildroot toolchains, because in those, libstdc++ was neither in
> lib/ or in usr/lib, but in usr/<tuple>/lib. Therefore, I moved to a
> strategy that consists in having a fixed destination for the library on
> the target filesystem. This was implemented by
> ecb7642cce36bc68d93f0eee677adc7da538228d.
>
> However, later on, to fix other issues, also related to libstdc++, I
> modified the build procedure for Buildroot toolchains so that a
> <tuple>/lib ->  lib/ is created, as other toolchain building systems are
> doing. This was implemented in
> 3c77bab2eeace3ee675bd745ca335fa3dd1630bb. The result is that libstdc++
> is back into a usual location in Buildroot toolchains, so we could in
> fact more or less revert ecb7642cce36bc68d93f0eee677adc7da538228d and
> make sure that libraries are at the same location in both staging/ and
> target/. I'll cook a patch for this.

Have now also tried a code sourcery toolchain which puts libstdc++ in
/usr/lib and if they don't match again get the error.

We could change copy_toolchain_lib_root so that it puts the libraries in
the corresponding location it finds them in rather than currently
searching in three locations but always copying to the specified one.

Will Wagner                                     will_wagner at carallon.com
Development Manager                      Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7371 2032
Carallon Ltd, Studio G20, Shepherds Building, Rockley Rd, London W14 0DA