[Buildroot] external-toolchain with CodeSourcery works well

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Sun Apr 10 21:24:26 UTC 2011

Charles, All,

On Sunday 10 April 2011 21:10:30 Charles Krinke wrote:
> Now, I am going to attempt to understand a bit about crosstools-ng. Here, I
> am guessing a bit on configuration settings, that is, things like prefixes
> and paths. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

It all depends on what you are trying to do. Regarding toolchains, here is
what buildroot can do:
 1- build its own toolchain using the internal backend
 2- use a pre-built toolchain already installed on your machine
 3- use a pre-built CodeSourcery toolchain that it downloads for you
   (what you did)
 4- build its own toolchain using the crosstool-NG backend

If you want to build your own toolchain, that you later feed to buildroot
using 2, then you'd get better chance to post your questions on the
crosstool-NG mailing list, as it has nothing to do with buildroot.

If you want to use 4, then buildroot handles all the paths and prefixes
stuff for you, and they are even hidden in the crosstool-NG config
menu:
  cd buildroot
  make menuconfig
    Toolchain  --->
      Toolchain type (Crosstool-NG toolchain)
      [other options at your discretion]
      [then exit]
  make ctng-menuconfig
  [wait till it handles dependencies]
  [configure crosstool-NG as you need]

Then if you have issues while configuring/building crosstool-NG, please
direct your questions to the crosstool-NG mailing list. You may keep the
buildroot mailing list copied, but only on the initial question, and
then on the final answer, keeping the crosstool-NG discussions on the
crosstool-NG mailing list.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.