[Buildroot] Starting programs in the background at init time: stdin EOF problem

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 09:53:15 UTC 2011

Hej Daniel!

2011/4/11 Daniel Nyström <daniel.nystrom at timeterminal.se>:
> Hi Thomas!
>
> 2011/4/11 Thomas De Schampheleire <patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com>:
>> What is the recommended way to start programs in such an embedded
>> environment?
>
> I'm using start-stop-daemon to perform similar tasks. Have you given
> it a try? It can "daemonize" even non-daemons which is pretty nice for
> e.g. GUI softwares.

Thanks for the hint.
I just gave it a try as follows:
# start-stop-daemon  -S -x ./shell  --background

Unfortunately, it seems to have the same problem. By daemonizing, the
file descriptor stdin seems to be closed, so my test program loops
forever (which I was able to visualize with strace).

I may need to adapt my program to not use stdio, but rather other
filedescriptors. I suppose that they will not be impacted be
foreground/background issues?

Where do you start start-stop-daemon from? Directly from inittab or
from scripts in /etc/init.d?
How do you start other programs automatically?

Thanks,