[Buildroot] Switching to /dev/ttyX

Charles Krinke charles.krinke at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 22:40:09 UTC 2011

What I am currently doing is commenting out the three tty's, tty1, tth2 &
tty3 and then uncommenting ttyS0 in /etc/inittab on the mounted root
filesystem.

I would appreciate some discussion from someone who is familiar with the
location of /etc/inittab in buildroot's build so we could modify it before
the rootfs is created.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Thomas De Schampheleire <
patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In /etc/inittab, you have e.g.
>
> tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
> tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
> tty3::respawn:/usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/messages
>
> By default I'm connected to the board on a serial line, e.g. /dev/ttyS0
>
> My question is: how can I access the other /dev/tty's?
> I tried the chvt command, but that does nothing: the command just
> completes but nothing changes on the shell.
>
> 'tty' always shows /dev/ttyS0.
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas

Charles Krinke