[Buildroot] barking up a different tree

Charles Krinke charles.krinke at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 21:02:14 UTC 2011

I understand that one can build it once and move it.

The issue I have is supporting half a dozen engineers.

Every time I suggest something not quite logical, I get hours (or days) of
discussions up to and including "let use OpenEmbedded", which I am really
tired of hearing.

So, .... I am trying to get a better way  then the /opt/other.

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 1:46 PM, William Wagner <will_wagner at carallon.com>wrote:

>>  Charles>  Being able to do "make clean" and *not* have to re-compile the
>>  Charles>  uclibc toolchain would get buildroot to an acceptable point
>>  Charles>  for the uclibc part of my project.
>>
>> Just build it once somewhere (E.G. set BR2_HOST_DIR to /opt/toolchain or
>> whatever), and then just configure BR to use it as an external
>> toolchain.
>>

> Peter,
>
> I know that your solution works and it's what you say to everybody who asks
> that question. However I feel it is the worst feature of buildroot and the
> things that most often puts people off when I explain it. Why not change it
> so that buildroot normally does a build as if to a different location and
> then automatically uses that for the actual build as we clearly have support
> for copying the correct bits. I can't really see any disadvantage of this
> over the current system and it would finally allow users to get back to a
> clean target build but still with the toolchain built. I would attempt this
> myself to submit as a patch but I've not had to hack around with the
> toolchain much, however if others can give me some pointers I'd happily look
> at it, otherwise if someone else tried it I'd certainly test it.
>
> Will
>
> --
> Will Wagner                                     will_wagner at carallon.com
> Development Manager                      Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7371 2032
> Carallon Ltd, Studio G20, Shepherds Building, Rockley Rd, London W14 0DA

Charles Krinke