[Buildroot] Buildroot 2011.02 images won't load on Qemu with qemu_arm_versatile_defconfig

Dwi Sasongko Supriyadi ruckuus at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 09:40:22 UTC 2011

Hello All,

I found issue when trying to load buildroot images on Qemu. Following is my
configuration:

1. Buildroot configured with make qemu_arm_versatile_defconfig
2. Using uClibc toolchain
3. rootfs.cpio, initramfs of linux kernel

Basically, I just did: make qemu_arm_versatile_defconfig; make then use the
resulting images available under output/images

I run qemu with following command:

qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -m 128M -kernel output/images/zImage -initrd
output/images/rootfs.cpio.gz -append "root=/dev/ram rdinit=/bin/sh"

Qemu launched but there is nothing shown.

Then I tried another trick by building linux kernel inside
output/build/linux-2.6.36 with CROSS_COMPILE parameter pointed to Code
Sourcery toolchain and I found the very same result. Qemu did not show
anything.

I changed linux kernel version from buildroot menuconfig with 2.6.27.58,
then configured buildroot with qemu_arm_versatile_defconfig following with
make, then Qemu can load the kernel.

Has anyone experienced this kind of issue?

Thanks in advance,
DWI

--
Good software can't be measured by `wc -l software.c`