[Buildroot] Buildroot 2011.02 images won't load on Qemu with qemu_arm_versatile_defconfig

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Tue Apr 26 09:46:25 UTC 2011

 Dwi> Hello All,
 Dwi> I found issue when trying to load buildroot images on Qemu. Following is my
 Dwi> configuration:

 Dwi> 1. Buildroot configured with make qemu_arm_versatile_defconfig
 Dwi> 2. Using uClibc toolchain
 Dwi> 3. rootfs.cpio, initramfs of linux kernel

 Dwi> Basically, I just did: make qemu_arm_versatile_defconfig; make then use the
 Dwi> resulting images available under output/images

 Dwi> I run qemu with following command:

 Dwi> qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -m 128M -kernel output/images/zImage -initrd
 Dwi> output/images/rootfs.cpio.gz -append "root=/dev/ram rdinit=/bin/sh"

 Dwi> Qemu launched but there is nothing shown.

Odd, I've using the versatile config pretty often here. I do configure
it slightly differently, as I normally don't care about graphics output
- So I use the serial output:

qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -kernel output/images/zImage -append
   'console=ttyAMA0,115200 root=/dev/sda' -nographic -net nic -net user
   -hda output/images/rootfs.ext2

I've tweaked the versatile config a bit in git since the 2011.02
release though (enabled getty on serial port).

Perhaps you could give the default versatile config in git a try before
changing to initramfs?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard