[Buildroot] busybox network configuration

Charles Krinke charles.krinke at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 18:50:10 UTC 2011

I think I may have over-simplified the file system as configuring
/etc/network/interfaces doesnt work yet.

I can see via "ifconfig" and "route" that "ifup eth0" and "ifdown eth0"
function and set the values specified in /etc/network/interfaces. I have a
correct netmask (I oversimplified my original posting, I am actually on the
255.255.255.248 subnet but have tested it with both that and 255.255.255.0).

I have a lan segment with two linux hosts running debian and I can ping
between those hosts and see with wireshark that ping request/reply packets
are flowing.

But, when I ping from the target running the buildroot created rootfs,
packets do not come out of the board.

In setting this up, I used the default settings in buildroot and
consequently have a minimum number of packages. Perhaps the next question is
"What are the minimum set of packages to specify in buildroot's config in
order to expect an interface controlled via /etc/network/interfaces that
does respond to ifup/ifdown require to be able to send packets out its
interface?"

--
Charles Krinke