[Buildroot] Adding package that builds Kernel Module (*.ko) to Buildroot environment

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Aug 4 07:45:57 UTC 2011

Hello,

Le Thu, 04 Aug 2011 08:30:21 +0200,
Aleksandar Zivkovic <Aleksandar.Zivkovic at rt-rk.com> a écrit :

> I would like to add additional package to Buildroot that will build
> Linux kernel driver.
> For that I need:
> - dependency: build of this package mustn't be started before kernel
> source is available
> - kernel source directory: currently, the best I know is:
> $(BASE_DIR)/build/linux-$(BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_VERSION)
>
> I started with package approach but bumped to stated dependency
> problem. Next what I tried is to edit linux/linux.mk to include my
> driver source download, extract. build and install but not so
> familiar with Buildroot scripting...
>
> Did somebody already done something similar? What is best approach?
> Examples are welcomed...

Attached, you will find :

 * mykmod-1.0.tar.bz2, the source code of an hello world like kernel
   module ;

 * kmod-example.patch, which adds support for compiling this kernel
   module into the Buildroot package infrastructure

Do not hesitate to get back to the mailing list if you have any issues
getting this to work or need additional details.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons