[Buildroot] buildroot with SquashFS root file system

Emmanuel BOUAZIZ ebouaziz at neotion.com
Tue Dec 6 15:20:35 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to run buildroot 2011.11 on an atom based board, booting via PXE.

I've selected the SquashFS 4.x root filesystem (xz compressed), bzImage as the Kernel binary format, and
syslinux/pxelinux as the  bootloader.
In the system configuration, I checked "remount root filesystem read-write during boot"

In the kernel configuration, I checked Initial RAM filesystem and RAM disk support+XZ, and SquashFS/XZ filesystem support.

On the PXE server, I put these kernel parameters: append vga=0x305 fbcon=scrollback:4096k initrd=rootfs.squashfs

Here is what I get during the boot sequence:

(...)
RAMDISK: squashfs filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: Loading 14133KiB [1 disk] into ram disk.../
usb 1-7: new high speed USB device number 3 using ehci_hcd
VFS: Mounted root (squashfs filesystem) readonly on device 1:0
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd
can't open /dev/null: No such file or directory
can't open /dev/null: No such file or directory
can't open /dev/null: No such file or directory
can't open /dev/null: No such file or directory
can't open /dev/null: No such file or directory
can't open /dev/null: No such file or directory
Starting logging: OK
Starting mdev...
mdev: /sys/class: No such file or directory
Starting network...
hub 2-2:1.0: USB found
hub 2-2:1.0: 3 ports detected
ifup: can't open '/var/run/ifstate': Read-only file system
(...)

I get the exact same result if I try to use a cramfs instead of a SquashFS.

Oddly enough, it works perfectly with a cpio root filesystem, or when I integrate the root filesystem as an initramfs in
the kernel image.

I probably missed an important item, but can't figure which. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Emmanuel