[Buildroot] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Tim Judd tjudd2k at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 2 18:24:38 UTC 2011

"usable" on the filesystem is maybe not the perfect word to use, it is more meant in terms of what is read-write and freely accessible on the root device.  A mtdblock is an embedded flash memory area who often times has a read-only compressed filesystem such as squashfs (google it).  squashfs is not directly usable like ext2 on a hard disk is.

You might have to hack 'n slash your way in (this is my limited linux knowledge.  I'm not claiming to be an expert).
use an additional append= argument: "init=/bin/sh" or "init=/bin/bash" or "init=/bin/ash" to try to get into a usable shell to see what's there.  This argument overrides the traditional init that runs so you can look in the directories trying to find where your init is supposed to be.  Remember that init itself is never supposed to terminate/end like you can close Firefox.  So if you leave the shell, linux kernel WILL panic (same error you started this thread with)

I'm not very confident mtdblock1 is supposed to be a read-write filesystem, but may have some kind of read-only squashfs kind of filesystem on it.

you're still welcome to try "root=/dev/ram0 init=/bin/ash" and related combinations trying to get a usable root filesystem and working shell.  This is where the headaches for me start.

I'm just knowledgeable enough to know basics, others here are guaranteed to be more experienced.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
"I can" is a way of life.
More and Bigger is not always Better.
The road to success is always uphill.
Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.