[Buildroot] Real time Linux implementation

Stephan Hoffmann sho at relinux.de
Fri Dec 2 18:33:47 UTC 2011

Am 01.12.2011 22:18, schrieb Thomas Petazzoni:
> Le Thu, 1 Dec 2011 11:27:37 -0800,
> Morten Jensen <mjensen at nvs-technologies.com> a écrit :
>
>> Hello,
>> We are using Buildroot on an ARM based development platform from IC-BOARD:
>> http://www.ic-board.de/product_info.php?info=p163_STK-ADB3000---ICnova-SAM9G45-XC3S700AN-OEM.html
>>
>> Does anybody have any experience with implementing Real Time OS
>> functionality in the Linux Buildroot system or can you guide us to someone
>> that may be able to help or consult in this effort ?
> Yes. First thing to find out is what you need in terms of real-time :
>
>  *) A vanilla Linux kernel with preemption enabled and proper process
>     priorities ;
>
>  *) A Linux kernel patched with PREEMPT_RT
I have good experiences with this patch, but did not try it with a ARM.
It's not that much effort and integrates well with buildroot. Look here:
https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/ and here:
https://www.osadl.org/Latest-Stable-Realtime.latest-stable-realtime-linux.0.html
for further information.

@Peter and Thomas,

what do you think about adding the PREEMPT_RT patch as a config option
to buildroot?

Kind regards

Stephan

--