[Buildroot] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Jeff Krasky jeff.krasky at dspcg.com
Fri Dec 2 18:30:14 UTC 2011

> afair this message could be because of lack of dev/console and/or
dev/null.
> You must run "mknod -m 660 dev/console c 5 1" and "mknod -m
> 660dev/null c 1 3" in root partition.
>
> How to do it? I have my on usb stick, so i
> simply mount usb drive, and do some changes. If youre using yaffs2 and
> NAND memory, you can use
>
> System configuration --> Custom script to run before creating filesystem
> images
>
> to invoke those commands or just find unyaffs script (somewhere on the
> Internet, on google code
> afair), unyaffs your rootfs, make changes and make yaffs image one
> more time.

Ok, I ran 'make menuconfig' and went into "System configuration -> Custom
script to run before creating filesystem images" and I entered this string:

mknod -m 660 dev/console c 5 1; mknod -m 660 dev/null c 1 3

and I got this when running 'make':

echo 2011.11 > /home/user1/buildroot-2011.11/output/target/etc/br-version
"mknod -m 660 dev/console c 5 1; mknod -m 660 dev/null c 1 3"
/home/user1/buildroot-2011.11/output/target
/bin/sh: mknod -m 660 dev/console c 5 1; mknod -m 660 dev/null c 1 3: No
such file or directory
make: *** [target-finalize] Error 127
user1 at dhcppc15:~/buildroot-2011.11>

> You have output/target folder with your rootfs, so you can make changes
> there :)

How to do it to a already built .jffs2 file?  Can I just open a terminal
window on the linux PC that buildroot is on and run some commands?