[Buildroot] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Aleksander Dutkowski adutkowski at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 00:25:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Jeff Krasky <jeff.krasky at dspcg.com> wrote:
>> afair this message could be because of lack of dev/console and/or
> dev/null.
>> You must run "mknod -m 660 dev/console c 5 1" and "mknod -m
>> 660dev/null c 1 3" in root partition.
>>
>> How to do it? I have my on usb stick, so i
>> simply mount usb drive, and do some changes. If youre using yaffs2 and
>> NAND memory, you can use
>>
>> System configuration --> Custom script to run before creating filesystem
>> images
>>
>> to invoke those commands or just find unyaffs script (somewhere on the
>> Internet, on google code
>> afair), unyaffs your rootfs, make changes and make yaffs image one
>> more time.
>
> Ok, I ran 'make menuconfig' and went into "System configuration -> Custom
> script to run before creating filesystem images" and I entered this string:
>
> mknod -m 660 dev/console c 5 1; mknod -m 660 dev/null c 1 3
>
> and I got this when running 'make':
>
> echo 2011.11 > /home/user1/buildroot-2011.11/output/target/etc/br-version
> "mknod -m 660 dev/console c 5 1; mknod -m 660 dev/null c 1 3"
> /home/user1/buildroot-2011.11/output/target
> /bin/sh: mknod -m 660 dev/console c 5 1; mknod -m 660 dev/null c 1 3: No
> such file or directory
> make: *** [target-finalize] Error 127
> user1 at dhcppc15:~/buildroot-2011.11>

"System configuration --> Custom script to run before creating
filesystem image" input is for specify a PATH to bash script.
You you must simply create script, fill with mknod commands (remember
- mknod can be ran only by root! so do 'sudo mknod')
and then put the path to the script in "Custom script to run before
creating filesystem image".
Remeber to add execute mode to the script (chmod +x file)

>> You have output/target folder with your rootfs, so you can make changes
>> there :)
>
> How to do it to a already built .jffs2 file?  Can I just open a terminal
> window on the linux PC that buildroot is on and run some commands?

When buildroot is done compiling all packages, it installs all in
'output/target' directory, and then create image.
I am used to tell buildroot not to create any images, make my own
adjustements in output/target dir, and then create image by hand.
If you need to create yaffs, you can look for "mkyaffs2" script, which
you can find on code.google.com.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Tim Judd <tjudd2k at yahoo.com> wrote:
> lack of dev/console or /dev/null should give a message something like "can't
> allocate initial tty!"
> I was having those errors too.  his is unable to run/survive init
>

> having dev/console and dev/null (and if necessary dev/tty*) so the console
> can be opened.  It's odd the kernel can spit the bootup on ttyS0 but
> complains when trying to run init.  one of the great mysteries of linux.

I had another error message (I experienced problem with lack of
/dev/console some time ago), but you can be right. I'm just assuming,
that my solution is proper, and want Jeff to check it ;)

pozdrawiam
Aleksander Dutkowski