[Buildroot] Pre-RFC: clean integration of unclean packages

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Dec 6 09:25:37 UTC 2011

 Hoi all,

 [Please keep me in CC]

On Monday 05 December 2011 10:46:38 Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>  I mentioned a couple of months ago that I was trying to integrate TI's
> SDK's for accessing the accelerator hardware on DaVinci and OMAP
> platforms.  I had given up on that but now I picked it up again.
>
>  I did make some progress already.  The most important step is that I
> found tarballs or svn repositories for all the packages that I need,
> so we can avoid executing a binary installer.

 I've ran into two more difficulties for which I could use some advise...

1. For some packages (notably the codec collection) I couldn't find a code
repository or tar file, they only seem to be available as a binary
installer.  I don't like running downloaded binaries...  In addition, the
binary checks that you are running a specific distro and have a specific
cross-compiler installed - which we don't want, of course.

 So as a work-around I'd like to create a .tar.gz for these packages
(which is fortunately allowed by the license, although the text of some
of the source files and PDF documents isn't so clear about it).  But
then we need a place to put it.

2. Some of the source files are generated by the XDCTool.  This tool
requires Java.  I guess that's a dependency we want to avoid in buildroot.
So I'll just add those generated files as patches.

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540