[Buildroot] Changing from NFS root filesystem to embedded within kernel

Guillaume Dargaud dargaud at lpsc.in2p3.fr
Wed Feb 23 17:03:40 UTC 2011

Hello all,
It's probably a simple question, but I'm a bit confused by what I found
searching this question.
I have a buildroot system which currently boots remotely via DHCP+NFS.
The following is both in the dts file and as the kernel parameter line:
console=ttyUL0,115200 rw root=/dev/nfs ip=bootp

Now I would like to package the kernel with the filesystem embedded in it.
That's what initramfs is for, right ?

In buildroot, I generated a CPIO filesystem, and in the kernel compile options
I told it to use that file as an initramfs.

Now all I need is to change the kernel parameter line, right ? What's the
syntax ?
--
Guillaume Dargaud
http://www.gdargaud.net/Antarctica/