[Buildroot] Linux kernel boot stops after NFS mount

Divick Kishore divick.kishore at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 12:27:44 UTC 2011

Hi Thomas,

> Yep, your kernel needs to support EABI. Buildroot ensure that it is the
> case when Buildroot is in charge of building the kernel, but when the
> kernel is built separatly, there's nothing Buildroot can do, except
> relying on the user knowledge.

Yeah you are right. Since I was just using the same config for kernel
provided by my h/w vendor for an older kernel which had EABI disabled,
I just overlooked it.

> You have enabled BR2_PACKAGE_SYSVINIT, so the init being used is the
> traditional SysV init, and not Busybox init. And our default inittab
> only works well with Busybox init (which is the standard setup for a
> Buildroot system).

Hmmm. I removed this and now I don't get those error messages.

> So, two solutions :
>
>  1) Unless you have strong reasons not to use Busybox init, I would
>    recommend using it by disabling BR2_PACKAGE_SYSVINIT.
>
>  2) If you really need to use SysV init, then you should use the Git
>    version of Buildroot, or at least merge
>    http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/commit/?id=7e2bf63080cc0011c84ee46ee2aba161569154c5
>    into your Buildroot version. This commit adds an inittab that works
>    well with SysV init.

Busybox init is good enough for me. I unknowingly selected sysVinit.

Thank you all for you help,
Regards,
DivKis