[Buildroot] Can Buildroot be configured to use the ELDK toolchain as an External Toolchain?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Jan 26 07:45:47 UTC 2011

Hello Davis,

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:44:58 -0500
Davis Mcpherson <davis.mcpherson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working on a project that is using the ELDK toolchain and would
> like to use these tools to build Buildroot, I followed the
> instructions to configure an external toolchain via 'make menuconfig'
> but when I do 'make' i get an error that the the c library has been
> specified, i'm using glibc

Unfortunately, last time I checked, the ELDK toolchains did not support
the --sysroot option, which is mandatory to use a given toolchain as an
external toolchain in Buildroot. We have tried to support non
sysroot-capable toolchains, but it was the source of various issues,
and since sysroot is now quite ancient and available in most
toolchains, it sounded like a reasonable tradeoff.

> but I think the problem is rooted in the SYSROOT value being used to
> verify glibc...
>
> has anyone configured Buildroot to use ELDK as the external toolchain
> to use for builds?

I wanted to, but I never understood how to get just the ELDK toolchain
and not a complete distribution. I'll try to see if I can test this
toolchain, but if you have some simple setup instructions to get just
the toolchain, that would be great.

Thanks,

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons