[Buildroot] Buildroot with 2.4.27 kernel: Network problems

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Sun Jan 30 12:43:35 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Simon" == Simon Kagstrom <simon.kagstrom at gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

 Simon> PING 192.168.1.104 (192.168.1.104): 56 data bytes
 Simon> ping: can't create raw socket: Function not implemented

 Simon> g2 trunk 6869 Island:# ./busybox telnet localhost
 Simon> telnet: socket: Function not implemented

 >> Is this with a complete rootfs built by buildroot, or just with the
 >> busybox binary copied over to an existing system? If the last, don't
 >> forget that uClibc doesn't have a stable ABI, so you need to link
 >> busybox statically if you want to run it in a rootfs with another
 >> uClibc version.

 Simon> I've tried both. I've compiled a static busybox to be able to chroot
 Simon> into the buildroot rootfs, but both behave the same way.

So you get this with a statically built busybox as well? Odd. Ping needs
to be setuid root to work. Are you root?

 Simon> I know 2.4 is ancient. However, I don't have the sources to even
 Simon> attempt a port to 2.6 (a request to Philips have been sent
 Simon> though), and also would like to avoid bricking my system, so I'd
 Simon> like to stay with the current kernel.

Ok. I would expect a buildroot generated rootfs to work with the 2.4
kernel without too much trouble.

What kind of hardware is this (CPU type)? How have you configured
buildroot?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard