[Buildroot] Library search paths and ld.so.conf

Quotient Remainder quotientvremainder at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 11:02:42 UTC 2011

Ar Déar, 2011-06-30 ag 13:27 -0400, scríobh Mike Frysinger:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:05, Quotient Remainder wrote:
> > Is it possible to dynamically add a library search path on the target?
> > I'm aware that it's possible to add to the ld.so library search path by
> > adding an entry into "/etc/ld.so.conf" and running ldconfig as well as
> > using LD_LIBRARY_PATH as is done in target-finalize but I don't want to
> > run ldconfig and take the time penalty it entails to generate the cache.
> > Can't I just tell ld.so to look in an extra directory or two if the
> > normal ones fail?
>
> off the top of my head, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the only way to inject a
> non-standard path at runtime without touching ld.so.conf / ldconfig.

I feared this would be the case.

> `man ld.so` explains the runtime lookup process.

:-) Yeah I had a look at that before posting alright.  Just wondering if
there were any "sly" ways around it.  It seems like a normal enough
thing to want to add a directory to the search path system-wide, as
opposed to a specific shell instance that LD_LIBRARY_PATH provides.