[Buildroot] Installation of package files in staging and target

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Jul 12 11:51:40 UTC 2011

Le Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:55:12 +0100,
Quotient Remainder <quotientvremainder at gmail.com> a écrit :

> I'm a little behind in tracking the changes with toolchain movements
> from a few months back but I was of the understanding that the current
> install scheme still allows the staging directory to be treated as a
> kind of mini SDK and so if I build a system using Buildroot I can tar
> up the staging dir and give it to application developers as an
> interface. Is this still the case?  If so, wouldn't putting
> executable programs into the staging dir be a bad thing?

Why would it be bad ? The binaries for the target are not inside
host/usr/bin, but inside host/usr/<tuple>/sysroot/usr/bin, so even if
the user adds host/usr/bin to its path to get access to the SDK, the
target binaries won't be visible.

It's true however that this would enlarge the size of the SDK.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons