[Buildroot] [pull request] Pull request for branch for-2011.08/debugging-improvements

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Thu Jul 14 13:43:47 UTC 2011

 >> Next to the size impact (which I agree is not a big problem) there's
 >> also potentially a build time impact. Did you test this?

 Thomas> Here is the result of a fairly big build for ARM (X.org, Gtk2, WebKit,
 Thomas> Midori), on a fairly big machine (quad-core, 12 GB of RAM), build was
 Thomas> done with BR2_JLEVEL=16, and the build does not include a toolchain (I
 Thomas> used an existing internal toolchain).

Thanks!

 Thomas> Without debugging symbols
 Thomas> =========================

 Thomas>  * Size of output directory:	3.4 GB
 Thomas>  * Size of staging directory:	445 MB

 Thomas> With debugging symbols

 Thomas>  * Size of output directory:	9.0 GB
 Thomas>  * Size of staging directory:	2.0 GB

 Thomas> So, I'd say we should drop my patch 2/4.

Yeah, this is a bit too much.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard