[Buildroot] Buildroot ext3 filesystem

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 09:20:59 UTC 2011

On 15 July 2011 06:20, Vasanth Ragavendran <ragavendra.2007 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am new to buildroot and hence my question could be trivial. Plz help. My
> question is Is it possible to create a ext3 root filesystem using build
> root? because during makeconfig i couldn't find ext3 only ext2 was present.

It is not possible at the moment. But it's easy to convert an ext2
filesystem to ext3 or ext4:

# ext2 -> ext3
tune2fs -j image.ext2 && mv image.{ext2,ext3}

# ext3 -> ext4
tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index image.ext3 && mv
image.{ext3,ext4} && e2fsck -fDC0 image.ext4

(I found this info at
https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto#Converting_an_ext3_filesystem_to_ext4).

We should probably integrate this into buildroot.

> Further, i read in the manual under "Using an external toolchain" that an
> external toolchain like glibc could be used. However there is no option for
> downloading it from the internet and it only asks for the path of the
> toolchain. What is it that i am missing? Awaiting your response.

CodeSourcery toolchains are the only pre-built toolchains that
Buildroot knows about and will automatically download from the
internet. CodeSourcery toolchain selection in buildroot depends on the
target architecture (ARM/MIPS/SH/PowerPC/Blackfin) and is not
available for x86. For example, if you select Target Architecture
"ARM" in buildroot you can then go on and select Toolchain ->
Toolchain type (External toolchain)  and then Toolchain ->
CodeSourcery VERSION. Buildroot will download the toolchain for you.

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman