[Buildroot] devtmpfs and initramfs

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Tue Jul 19 10:33:13 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Arnout" == Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> writes:

 Arnout>  Hoi all,

 Arnout>  I'm using an initramfs as the root filesystem image, and
 Arnout> devtmpfs for the devices.  However, it turns out that devtmpfs
 Arnout> doesn't get mounted automatically if the root filesystem is an
 Arnout> initramfs (at least in 2.6.35).

Indeed, init/mainc::kernel_init() doesn't call prepare_namespace()
(which calls devtmpfs_mount()) if an initramfs with an /init is found.

 Arnout>  I ended up adding the following to my inittab:

 Arnout> null::sysinit:/bin/mount -t devtmpfs devtmpfs /dev

 Arnout>  Does anyone know a more elegant solution?

Not really - Besides adding a devtmps_mount() call in kernel_init(), but
that's kind of icky as well.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard