[Buildroot] [Patch] Allow file to be built against static libs.

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Jul 19 20:42:55 UTC 2011

Le Tue, 19 Jul 2011 22:22:56 +0200,
Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at uclibc.org> a écrit :

> We indeed force --enable-shared --disable-static for host builds, but
> that doesn't really matter. For target builds we use (see
> package/Makefile.in) --enable-static --enable-shared when
> PREFER_STATIC_LIB is enabled, so rather than something file specific, I
> think it would make more sense to set that to --enable-static
> --disable-shared instead.

We have :

ifeq ($(BR2_PREFER_STATIC_LIB),y)
SHARED_STATIC_LIBS_OPTS=--enable-static --disable-shared
else
SHARED_STATIC_LIBS_OPTS=--enable-static --enable-shared
endif

So it is already --enable-static --disable-shared when
BR2_PREFER_STATIC_LIB=y. So, Andy, I think that your patch is basically
a no-op, except for the host build of the file package, but it is
totally incorrect to turn the host build of the file package to a
static library depending on the value of BR2_PREFER_STATIC_LIB, which
is limited to target packages only.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons