[Buildroot] BR2_PREFER_STATIC_LIB and external toolchain

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Mon Jul 25 21:26:48 UTC 2011

 >> Yes, I noticed as well today. Unfortunately it isn't as simple as
 >> making
 >> copy_toolchain_lib_root a noop with static linking, as E.G. glibc
 >> afaik
 >> still needs libnss*.so* in the target rootfs when static linking is
 >> used.

 ANDY> Really?  What are the libnss*-pic.a for then?

I don't normally use glibc toolchains for embedded, but I believe you
only have those if you built glibc with --enable-static-nss. By default
glibc will dlopen libnss instead (to handle dynamic name resolution).

 ANDY> Also, another bone of contention is that I'm getting header files
 ANDY> in the target.  Where does that happen?

Those should get removed at the end through the target-finalize step in
the toplevel Makefile unless you have BR2_HAVE_DEVFILES enabled.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard